About Me

I'm a writer who aims to do good things with words. I write scripts mainly but I wanted to set up this blog as a way of being of service through my writing. Included in the blog you'll find my Gratitude posts which are updated every Wednesday and a quote of the week posted each Sunday, taken from various sources. I may also post some of my fictional short stories here too. The views expressed in my gratitude posts are merely my own humble opinions, observations and my personal experiences, but I really hope they make you smile, move your heart and give you food for thought. Thanks for stopping by!

Friday 4 February 2011

Gratitude Post: The unconditional gift

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisyarzab/
The times we live in are fraught with conflict, immense upheavals, and international struggle. We see it on the news, hear it on the radio, and watch it on the Telly. The more we see it, the more we want to help. And yet the more we see it - we feel powerless. I've felt like that many a time. Then a friend wrote on her site last night reminding us of the need to pray for people in Egypt who are undergoing so much at the moment. And I am really grateful for that because she got me thinking how lucky we are to be able to do that.  Much like breathing, we take it for granted. But in the same way that breath keep our bodies alive, prayer also empowers our souls. It empowers us to send good intentions to others - it empowers us to love. Just think about it - if you can't walk, you can pray; if you are blind, you can pray; if you are unable to verbalise, you can speak with your inner voice.


You know, I have friends who are locked in prison in places like Iran because of their beliefs. There is so much that they and their families are not allowed to do: they are not allowed access to education, they cannot have jobs, have their own businesses, often times they cant even meet up with each other in their homes, because the government there won't allow them. But there is one freedom that cannot be taken away from them. The freedom to pray. Even if their hands are bound in chains. Because really, prayer is a gift of the soul. It doesn't require feet or hands to make it powerful. It just needs love and the faith to do it. 


Don't you think that's amazing? How in an age where you don't get something for nothing -we all have this free gift? The power to connect our own hearts to all others, so that suddenly neither we nor them are alone.  So in these times, when the world seems to be tearing itself apart, and when disaster after disaster seems to strike, know that you are a very powerful being and that there is always something you CAN do.


written and posted by Nadia O'Connell

No comments: