About Me

I'm a writer who aims to do good things with words. I write scripts mainly but I wanted to set up this blog as a way of being of service through my writing. Included in the blog you'll find my Gratitude posts which are updated every Wednesday and a quote of the week posted each Sunday, taken from various sources. I may also post some of my fictional short stories here too. The views expressed in my gratitude posts are merely my own humble opinions, observations and my personal experiences, but I really hope they make you smile, move your heart and give you food for thought. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday 9 February 2011

Gratitude Post: What are we fighting for?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drcohen/

I have no desire to turn this site into a political /protest blog but I feel I must, for this post, make my voice heard in response to government plans to allow the shut down of so many libraries in the UK, by asserting that I AM GRATEFUL FOR LIBRARIES. I understand that in times of recession difficult decisions must be made when it comes to 'non essential services' in this country. I can even understand how, with the advent of Kindle, and downloadable books,  libraries might be seen to be 'non essential' nowadays. However, does the closure of such places not point to a deeper issue than just, well, books?

After all, it's not just libraries that are suffering is it? It's libraries, and museums, art galleries, theatres, concert halls, film agencies etc.  And it's not just now that cut backs to these services are taking place. Ever since I can remember, theatres and other places of artistic value have constantly struggled and vied for public funds. As if art has no value. It's only art right? It's not money making, economy saving, or a Corporation is it? It's not a banker's bonus, is it? No. It's much more important than that. It's the language of of our souls. The soul does not speak in English, Chinese, Spanish or footsie for that matter. The soul is expressed in the intricacies of a painting, the vibration of a dance, the harmony of a song, the chapters of a book.

 So I am grateful for libraries, and theatres, and galleries, and concert halls - these monuments to the voice of man's soul. And you may think it a worthy sacrifice when we've got an economy to save, and a standard of living to uphold, but I think only of the words of Winston Churchill, who, when pressured to cut funds to the arts for the sake of World War 2 replied: "Then what are we fighting for?"

written and posted by Nadia O'Connell

No comments: