About Me

I'm a writer who aims to do good things with words. I write scripts mainly but I wanted to set up this blog as a way of being of service through my writing. Included in the blog you'll find my Gratitude posts which are updated every Wednesday and a quote of the week posted each Sunday, taken from various sources. I may also post some of my fictional short stories here too. The views expressed in my gratitude posts are merely my own humble opinions, observations and my personal experiences, but I really hope they make you smile, move your heart and give you food for thought. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday 19 January 2011

Gratitude Post: Fancy a fritter? (21/12/2010)

Some might say I’m obsessed,  but honestly, I find there are few things to be more grateful for in life than food. And the joy of cooking food, the chance to try new tips, and get adventurous when preparing food (because no matter what the recipes says – you are always in charge ;) ), is one of the greatest joys in life. Mostly, I love to cook for friends.

This weekend, for the first time however, a friend came over my place and cooked for me instead, and I was really grateful  to sample something new: Courgette and feta cheese fritters. They were REALLY tasty and quick to make so I’m definitely going have a bash at them myself. I’m unsure of the exact recipe my friend used, but I googled it and found this, courtesy of the Hairy Bikers.
NOTE: My personal tip would be to TRY and stick to the ratio of cheese versus courgette – me and my friend went a bit Wallace and Gromit on the cheese, but it made the fritters a little sloppy and tricky to fry, so if you can curb your enthusiasm when it comes to the feta – then do.
Also, if you happen to have wheat allergy as I do, my advice is to use rice flour, or Doves plain flour mix as a substitute – works just as well!  Enjoy :)

Ingredients

Preparation method

  1. Sprinkle the courgette with salt and allow to drain for 20 minutes.
  2. Place the grated courgette in a clean tea towel and squeeze out the water. Mix with the onions, dill, parsley, eggs, paprika and freshly ground black pepper.
  3. Work in the feta cheese and flour.
  4. Heat the oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pan. It is ready when a breadcrumb that is dropped in will sizzle gently in it.
  5. Carefully fry tablespoons of the mixture in the hot oil until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towels. Garnish with slices of lemon and serve immediately.

blog posted and written by Nadia O'Connell

recipe taken from the bbc website http://www.bbc.co.uk

No comments: