About Me

I'm a writer who aims to do good things with words. I write scripts mainly but I wanted to set up this blog as a way of being of service through my writing. Included in the blog you'll find my Gratitude posts which are updated every Wednesday and a quote of the week posted each Sunday, taken from various sources. I may also post some of my fictional short stories here too. The views expressed in my gratitude posts are merely my own humble opinions, observations and my personal experiences, but I really hope they make you smile, move your heart and give you food for thought. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday 25 January 2011

Gratitude Post: Service with a smile (25/01/11)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rkramer62/
I was going to write about something completely different today, but then something happened that really touched my heart so I thought I’d share it in the hope that it might be helpful to somebody else. I have a physical disability. Growing up I was always determined to be a independent as I possibly could be. Then, 3 years ago my mobility decreased dramatically  and that meant that I had to start allowing carers to come into my home from various agencies to help me with personal care. If I'm honest, I found this really hard  in the beginning. I found it dis-empowering and felt as if I'd "lost the battle" to be "like everyone else". More crucially, I felt that I'd lost the ability to be of service to others, because my ability to help myself now was more restricted - and I found that really challenging, because I truly believe that we are all put on this earth to be of service to each other - and initially I felt as though that fundamental gift God has given to everyone, the gift of service - had been taken away from me. And this bothered me more than anything else, even more than losing the ability to walk. But over time as I got used to seeing the carers. I began appreciating the help they give me, and the company they offer.

Then one of the girls who comes to help me remarked out of the blue that she really loved coming to my house. I asked her why -- and she told me because I was full of smiles and it made her feel great. She said that she in general  she gets the feeling that clients she works for didn't want her there but when she comes to my house, she always feels welcome and it was something to look forward to.


I was taken aback because I had no idea that's how she felt, and because it reminded me that no matter how powerless I might think I am be of service - there is ALWAYS a way and I very thankful for that! So please, don't ever kid yourself that your powerless no matter how limited you think you are. - You can can do so much with the tinniest of God's gifts.  Even a smile - or a friendly word  sincerely intended  can make a MASSIVE difference to people. You don't know what impact your soul can have another soul until you until reach out to them, so don't ever feel powerless to serve another - because service, however small, is the birthright of humanity and is something we ALL have the means to do. :)


written and posted Nadia O'Connell

No comments: